At Sunrise Children’s Hospital of Las Vegas, we understand that spending time in the hospital away from home can be stressful for children and their families. To help alleviate this stress and promote a peaceful, comfortable experience, our Child Life Department works hard to provide the best possible care to each family during hospitalization for illness, injury, or medical treatment. The Child Life team, along with the medical staff, helps to ensure that all physical and emotional needs are met when patients are spending time at our hospital.
Medical diagnostic and treatment procedures can be difficult for patients of any age to understand. For many children, this confusion can lead to a fair amount of fear and anxiety. As a part of our support services, our Child Life professionals help young patients (and their parents) understand why they are in need of medical care and what they can expect from the procedure. To help explain these processes and prevent any misconceptions, Child Life utilizes pictures, teaching tools, special dolls, and medical equipment.
In addition to the above education services, the Child Life Department offers the following support programs:
- Tours and orientation through the hospital before a surgery or diagnostic procedure
- Sibling preparation before the family visits a child in the neonatal or pediatric intensive care unit
- Individualized play and activities, such as games and art projects that are tailored to be age-appropriate
- One-on-one story time, during which children can choose their own book
- Magic shows from Sunrise Children’s own Dr. Magic and Mrs. Magic
- Pet therapy from our gentle canine volunteers
- Holiday celebrations and special visits from various community outreach groups
Sunrise Children’s Hospital is a full-service, state-of-the-art hospital specializing in pediatric care. From neonatal intensive care to advanced cardiology procedures, our pediatric specialists offer comprehensive healthcare options for your family. Call our Consult-A-Nurse healthcare referral line at (702) 731-5437 to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced and compassionate physicians today.